Being a good project manager is not simply about having a tight grip on the reins and chasing up colleagues to ensure work is done correctly and on time. It’s also about motivating the entire team to do a good job and care about the project and its outcomes. Consultancies are often full of bold personalities and so with a variety of potential clashing rivals, sometimes things can be difficult. But a good project manager will remain cool under pressure and ensure that everyone is united under the same goal – to solve the financial problems facing the company.
Take a look at the following 10 websites for helpful advice…
1) http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-decision-maker/want-to-motivate-your-team-here-are-20-things-to-start-doing-now/ Loads of advice from Techrepublic on things you can do straight away to improve your team relations
2) http://people.rice.edu/uploadedFiles/People/TEAMS/Leading%20and%20motivating%20as%20a%20manager.pdf A great printable pdf explaining how to be a great manager that can motivate their team
3) http://www.tlnt.com/2013/11/05/7-tips-for-motivating-your-team-even-when-the-going-gets-tough/ TLNT (Talent Management – HR) has a great article here on how to keep motivating people, even when times get stressful
4) http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140224160944-158230243-motivate-your-team-10-simple-ideas 10 simople ideas from LinkedIn explaining how to keep up encouragement and playing to the strengths of individual team members
5) http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMM_67.htm Take this Mindtools test to see what kind of project manager you are and how to improve your motivation techniques
6) http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/201454 A useful post to take heed of in the current economic climate – how to ensure motivation within a team is maintained cheaply
7) http://www.pagepersonnel.co.uk/motivate-your-team.html List of ten simple rules to keep your team engaged – including beer time and friday fun!
8) http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/motivating-your-outsourced-offshore-team.php If you are working for a large consultancy firm with offices across the world, your team might not even be all in one place. This article explains how to manage an offshore team
9) http://www.managementcentre.co.uk/knowledgebase/unlocking-motivation-in-staff Quite an academic article about unlocking motivation in staff – worth a read though as it is simply explained but using sociological theories
10) http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/217801 A great list of 14 ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ in management – take heed and don’t make the common mistakes!