Consulting is renowned for demanding a lifestyle that is hectic and busy, with work expected to be completed to deadlines, no matter how much work that may involve. Sometimes it may seem that there just aren’t enough hours in the day and an insurmountable mountain of worry is ahead. As a new graduate to the consulting world, this is probably even more acutely felt. Learning how to deal with stress in a positive way is extremely beneficial for a healthy working life. The following 10 websites give some great advice to calm you down in periods of intense stress.
1) http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/managing-your-career/1254/tips-for-time-management-and-balancing-a-busy-workload/ A great list of tips and advice from jobs.ac.uk on balancing a heavy workload
2) http://www.helpguide.org/mental/work_stress_management.htm A very detailed guide on how to cope with stress at work
3) http://psychcentral.com/lib/6-ways-to-stress-less-at-work/0007478 This psychology website offers several suggestions on ways to stress less at work
4) http://catherinescareercorner.com/2011/02/26/10-tips-to-help-you-deal-with-a-heavy-workload-at-work/ Plenty of tips on this career blog about how to deal with heavy workloads. The blog tagline is ‘Energy and persistence conquer all things’ – a good piece of advice to heed!
5) http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/seasonal-workload-changes.htm An article that talks about how to deal with stress at work when the stress levels fluctuate throughout the year – often a common problem in management consultancy as pressure increases when nearing a project deadline
6) http://www.contentextra.com/publicrelations/files/topicguides/PR_TopicGuide_11_1.pdf A printable document outlining how to effectively plan your workload – a very good way to avoid the build of stress
7) http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/centers/cwf/research/publications/pdf/workload_ebs.pdf Boston College academic document on workloads – but the table on p7 is rather useful
8) http://creativeboom.co.uk/tips/how-to-effectively-manage-your-workload/ A simple blog posts with useful tips to reduce workloads and make them into manageable pieces
9) http://www.pmctraining.com/forms/index.asp?tid=169 Performance consultants offer their top five tips on managing workloads
10) http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2013/03/20/12-ways-to-eliminate-stress-at-work/ Forbes gives their top 12 tips on eliminating stress
11) http://business.time.com/2014/01/22/5-scientifically-proven-ways-to-reduce-stress-at-work/ Time Magazine’s Business Blog offers 5 ‘scientifically proven ways’ to reduce stress at work here
12) And for those who are looking at interview questions which address this pressing issue, take a look at the Targetjobs answer http://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/interview-techniques/320311-how-do-you-manage-your-time-and-prioritise-tasks-tricky-graduate-interview-questi